Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Case for Ted and Victoria



Thanks to Google providing some advanced statistics I can now tell precisely which of my posts bring the most traffic (as well as the search terms that bring people to my blog. According to them I am apparently the go to website for any and all information on Strawberry Shortcake’s antagonists.) Anyway, it seems that people were really interested in my thoughts on Ted and Victoria on How I Met Your Mother so tonight I am going to break down just why the two of them should be together.


1) Chemistry: It is pretty amazing that in a show where the theoretical focus is on how Ted meets the mother of his children he seemingly dates women where there seems to be no connection between the two. I never understood the whole Stella storyline where other than the one minute date they never even felt like a couple. I wasn’t really upset when he was left at the altar because I didn’t think they should be together. The less said about the entire Zoey storyline the better and after that we pretty much go into random guest star category. Even the Slutty Pumpkin wasn’t a good choice. In the entire history of the show there are only two women who Ted has dated who any reasonable observer would say is a good fit and one of those is Robin, who isn’t a good match for a few paragraphs worth of reasons.

However, the chemistry between him and Victoria has always been amazing. I don’t think there ever was a scene with the two of them in it that wasn’t awesome. To the point that I wonder why Ashley Williams does not get more work on television because she certainly seems like a great actress. The fact that for years that whenever anyone would post a poll on who should be the mother she would always win, even when she hadn’t been on the show for years. That means an awful lot.

2) Destiny: In a sense, the entire show is about destiny and how certain things are meant to be and that the universe will just force events to happen. So much of the show has been about how things just happen and this would fit that perfectly. Now this isn’t destiny in the sense that there is only one person who is a match for someone, which even I don’t believe. It is more that there are certain people in this world that you just connect with and you can come together again and again and it just feels right no matter how much time has elapsed in between. It just makes sense for the two of them to be together.

3) Reference to Before Sunrise and Before Sunset: Ok, if you did not immediately think of the last moments of Before Sunset at the end of this episode that can only mean that you have never watched Before Sunset (which you should immediately do but only after watching Before Sunrise because if you haven’t seen one you probably haven’t seen the other.) I am a sucker for any relationship that can parallel Jesse and Celine.

4) Personal Bias: Given that I happened to marry someone who I had originally met years ago, someone who I felt was my perfect match then but was unable to connect with due to timing and geography and being at different points in our lives, I really would like to see Ted and Victoria work out. If you go back to my posts in 2004 and 2005 you can see me complaining that they were stealing stories of my life for episodes of the show. I still state that the “Red Dragon” shots were plagiarism of the highest level. But this means that I have a personal interest in Ted and Victoria making this work.

5) Victoria doesn’t have to be the mother: One of the main arguments against Victoria is one of plotting. She can’t be the mother because we had already met her and then the storylines would make no sense. My workaround of this, and I am not sure if there is anything in the How I Met Your Mother canon that would make this impossible, is that while Ted is talking about how he met their mother he may be talking about their biological mother and not the woman who is raising them. This would allow for a bit of wiggle room without causing the entire logic of the show fall apart. (For those wondering, the favorite as to who the Mother actually is right now is Barney’s half sister. Who we have never actually seen.) Also, they could always just say that we are constantly meeting the same person anew with the last time being when he knew she would be their mother. That would get around the issue completely.

Now I will have to address the whole taking Victoria away from the wedding issue. Yes, that is a douche move but we are talking about Ted here. The guy has been a douche for nearly a decade now. Yes, it is horrible to leave someone at the altar and Ted knows that first hand. But this isn’t a case of him showing up at the church and yelling “I object!” and then storming to the front and sweeping her up in his arms. As crappy as this is, sometimes in life you make a selfish decision because it works out best for you. If what is best for you turns out to be finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with maybe you can get away with being selfish. Maybe this is me showing my romantic side over my practical side. I just think Ted and Victoria belong together.

No comments: