Thursday, October 07, 2010

Just how popular am I online?

I’ve been writing a lot recently about the idea of privacy in the internet age and just how once you open yourself to the internet the entire world knows everything about you. Since I just received a new set of yearly visitor stats on my blog I thought that it would be neat to examine them. Remember, I have never really promoted my blog outside of people I know. Even that has been low key (except for those of you who haven’t blocked me on the Facebook feed.) Here are the stats.

· I had 5,388 unique visitors last year or an average of 14.8 readers a day. This is down from the 17.6 readers a day I averaged the year before primarily due to the fact that I posted a lot less and didn’t get linked to from the Frames fan blog like I did in January 2009. The drop bums me out but life got in the way of writing this year
· The breakout of visitors by country is as follows: US: 83.9%, United Kingdom: 4.1%, Canada: 2.8%, Germany: 1.1%, Australia: 0.6%, Norway: 0.5%, Spain: 0.4%, Brazil: 0.4%, Rest of the World: 6.2%. For the record, I don’t know anyone in Norway and can’t recall if any of my friends are living in the UK at the moment.
· So who is in the rest of the world? Such fascinating places as South Africa, Latvia, Cyprus, United Arab Emirates, Nigeria, Ghana, Belize, Malawi, Iran, Bahrain, and Guernsey. Do you know where Guernsey is? It is a channel island between England and France with a population of 65,573 people. One of them visited my blog.
· Google has let me know what search term has brought the most people to my blog. That term? “Strawberry shortcake enemy”. I am the first link on Google for that search and it links to a post of mine that doesn’t even answer the question. It’s the Peculiar Purple Pie Man by the way.
So when you put your life story online just know this is how far it can travel.

No comments: