Sunday, September 20, 2009

And I'm back...

Did you miss me? Was my wit and panache longed for in the midst of cyberspace? Did anyone actually notice that I had stopped writing for two weeks?

Anyway, as I said I went on sabbatical which is really a fancy way of saying I finally took a vacation. In fact this was the first time that I took five days off from work that did not involve volunteering in New Orleans in almost a decade. It has been that long since I have had a real vacation and that says something and I don’t think it is very good.

So what did I do? Well, Kim and I went to New York to Iceland back to New York to Detroit to South Bend then back to Detroit and finally home. We spent nearly a week in unseasonably warm Iceland where we saw glaciers and icebergs and waterfalls and geysers and a whole lot of gray skies. We also ate amazing food including the best ice cube you will ever taste as well as puffin (they are both cuddly and delicious.) We then went to New York, going from a country of 300,000 people to a city of 8 million. We did the museums and Times Square and saw a play and I had my first experience of life in New York. Then it was on to South Bend for the Notre Dame game and reunions with some old friends.

Obviously I have a thousand stories to tell and I will be sharing them over the next few weeks. Right now I just want to say that I am back safe and sound though the jet lag has finally caught up to me. Travelling the world via early morning flights starts to drain you once you reach your mid thirties. So, I am going to thankfully sleep in my own bed right now and get ready to go back to work in the morning. More stories to follow.

But what do you mean Tali won More to Love while I was gone? Why in the world did Luke choose her? I really have to disagree with his logic there. Mandy was robbed.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Death Cab for Cutie “Transatlanticism”
2) Tommy Malone “Soul Heavy”
3) Damien Rice “Live from Fingerprints Warts and All”
4) Various Artists “Bloodshot Records Sampler 2001”
5) Rufus Wainwright “Release the Stars”

No comments: