Thursday, November 01, 2007

The EC Curse

So I just walked home from a bar and I passed something that was quite possibly the most unexpected sight in the world. For some reason, there was an ice cream truck parked just outside my apartment. It’s nine at night, it’s November, and it’s fifty degrees out. Why in the world are you driving around in an ice cream truck? And should I have been a lot more concerned about this than I was? Especially given that I saw it drive away with music playing?

(And yeah, I was coming home from a bar on a Thursday night. You’ve got a problem with that? I don’t have to answer to you and your rules. You’re not my dad. Well, except for the fact that my dad occasionally reads the blog in which case you would in fact be my dad. Uh, sorry about that, I promise to clean up my act in the future.)

I’ve decided to post a picture of one of my reigning Perfect Mates who made the news today. Yep, Martina Hingis (who ranks 8th or 9th on my list of women I would marry in a second) was found to have tested positive for cocaine at Wimbledon. She vigorously denies the charge and simultaneously announced her retirement from tennis. That is not quite the defense I was looking for. “These charges are completely untrue. On top of that, I quit so it’s not like you can punish me or anything. In fact, why look into the matter further?” Her other defense, and the one I kind of agree with, is why in the world would you play tennis on cocaine? Somehow being hyper and paranoid does not seem to be the best combination on a tennis court.

Sigh. First my beloved and now Martina. Apparently being an object of my desire is a dangerous career move. Heck, it probably explains why Julie Delpy hasn’t had a major starring role since An American Werewolf in Paris. I think my falling for you is worse than winning the Grammy for Best New Artist.

Oh, and a note for some people who might be wondering. I sadly will not be taking part in national Novel Writers Month this year. I know, this really sucks. Basically my job, my real life and some of my lingering medical issues kind of preclude me from trying to write 50,000 words in thirty days. It’s not that I’m not going to write the novel, it’s just being postponed to January and February. I’m going to turn November into National “Outline your plot and create character bios” month for me. “Until We Say Goodbye” will get written even if I have to work myself to the point where I collapse on the keyboard. Which, to be honest, is a distinct possibility.

That’s about it for this week. I have to start saving up for the new Harry Potter book. With only seven copies being made I figure my best choice will be to buy two and burn one of them. That might actually make financial sense. Also, for people expecting a monthly report from me it is coming. Again, things have gotten a bit frazzled on my end. Personally, I blame the lack of a time change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martina Hingis' (second) retirement actually makes sense. She was going to be suspended and would be looking at spending the next year fighting to get reinstated. After the suspension and starting over that late in her career climbing back into the top 20 in the world after isn't very likely.

As for playing tennis on cocaine, Bjorn Borg was allegedly a big fan of it. Then again, that may be why he retired early and why he is regarded as 'one of' the best players ever instead of 'the' best ever (before Federer).