Sunday, October 30, 2005

Back in KC

Completely random story to start. So, I was in my apartment this evening getting ready to go out for a little bit. Yes, I know it is a Sunday night but everything was reruns and besides, have to enjoy life as much as possible, right. Anyway, throw my cel phone in my pocket along with my keys as I move around the apartment tidying things up a bit before I head out. At one point I start hearing a woman’s voice, like it was someone talking on the sidewalk below my apartment. Actually, it sounded a lot closer than that. It sounded like it was coming from my pocket.

Now admittedly, a woman’s voice emitting from my jeans would normally be considered a good thing. In this case, I was pretty sure it was a mistake. Grab my phone and find out that somehow I had speed dialed a friend’s number without ever touching the phone. So Kim, if you’re reading this, uh, sorry? Hopefully that was your voice mail. But it is nice to know that my phone has evolved to the point that it will make calls for me.

Anyway, I just made it back from Chicago this afternoon. What, does that surprise you? The Sox won the World Series, of course I would be in Chicago for the celebration. Ok, technically I was in town for my niece’s birthday and that just happened to coincide with everything but the story works much better the other way around. For those who didn’t see the coverage, they’ve estimated that 1.7 million people came out for the victory parade through the South Side and the Loop. Including Steve Perry, who led the team in a horribly off key version of Don’t Stop Believing. I’m sad that that song became the theme song but this is Chicago, the home of the Super Bowl Shuffle, it is a rule that championship teams have a theme song. Usually one that makes you cringe afterwards.

I did at least catch up on the I Love the 80’s marathon over the weekend. I’m still missing 1985 and 1986 but this is VH-1 that we are talking about so I’ll see it eventually. I will state that I am so far ahead of the coolness curve that it is not even funny. Three of my Forgotten Television Shows were mentioned, including Not Necessarily the News. Plus, they had a full analysis of Thundercats. I swear, I should sue these guys for plagiarism. Or at least find out how to be one of the talking heads. Come on, if “Lionheart” Chris Jericho makes the cut, why can’t I?

My biggest complaint is that they are really goofing up on the years. You Can’t Do That On Television came up in 1981 and it really should have been a few years later. The biggest offender was in talking about the high top fade, that classic hairstyle of the late 80’s. They put it in 1989, which was fine. But they showed a ton of pictures of Vanilla Ice. The thing is, Vanilla Ice has nothing to do with the 80’s. He is definitely an early 90’s creation. I mean, if you are going to tie years to everything you really need to be accurate. Maybe I can pull off that job, ombudsman for the I Love the (Insert Decade Here). And when do we do the first half of the aughts? I know that I’m nostalgic for 2000.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Freakwater “Feels Like the Third Time”
2) Pieta Brown “I Never Told”
3) Iris Dement “Lifeline”
4) Emmylou Harris “Red Dirt Girl”
5) Joan Osborne “Relish”

(Oh God, I just admitted to owning a Joan Osborne CD. Look, it was a gift from my Canadian girlfriend. Honest. Oh come on, you don’t think I actually went into a store and said, “Can I have the Joan Osborne CD? Please?”)

No comments: