Tuesday, February 18, 2014

100 Books to Read in a Lifetime: Part Two

I will be continuing with the 100 books to read in a lifetime per Amazon, which might just be the 100 books that will provide Amazon with the greatest profit margins. We have reached a sad point in our evolution when multi-national corporations now not only develop our culture but then decides what is artistically valuable.

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown: I’ve never read this book or had it read to me to the best of my knowledge. However, I have heard Jack Ingram perform “Goodnight Moon” in concert so that should count for something.


Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Oh, Kim is going to hate me for this one. Dickens is one of Kim’s favorite authors and when she finally goes for her master’s in English her thesis will be on his works. I however, despite at least three separate attempts, have never been able to get past the first fifty pages of Great Expectations. It’s embarrassing. I’ve read James Joyce but not Dickens.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared M. Diamond: I am very surprised that I haven’t read this book yet. This type of non-fiction writing now makes up a majority of what I read. Combination of history and science and sociology and grand claims about how society works that can never be proven out.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling: I assume that everyone has read this book. Also, I assume that everyone read about Rowling saying that she wishes she didn’t have Ron and Hermione end up together which makes me say, “Thank you for finally thinking this through.” I’ve always said that the epilogue should show, after talking about Ron and Hermione getting married, Hagrid and Ron spending long nights at the bar with Ron going, “She just never shuts up. It’s always one cause or another and she is always right and can’t a guy just go home and watch the damn quidditch match without worrying about the plight of the left handed house dwarves?” It should have been Harry with Luna and Neville with Hermione.

Yes, Neville with Hermione. Look, it is clear that Neville was the chosen one the entire time and Harry was just a diversion by Dumbledore in order to hide Neville in plain sight while he secretly trained him and put forward this façade that he was a failure as a student. Do you really think that Dumbledore would trust the Chosen One to a muggleborn and the least talented Weasley boy?

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote: The classic tale of senseless murder in Kansas. Not only is this book the invention of the true crime novel but it is also just a fascinating tale of what goes through the mind of desperate people who are blinded by greed and desire. I held off on reading this book for years but it is definitely worthwhile to read just to get a sense of Capote’s writing.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri Never heard of it.

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison: Read this in high school and I have to admit that I wasn’t that impressed. It had an amazing prologue and first chapter but I could never get into the rest of the book. Maybe it just wasn’t the right time in my life to read it.

Jimmy Corrigan: Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware: Props for this list to have a graphic novel on it (and a Jimmy Corrigan one at that.) I have heard nothing but good things about this series and I am kicking myself for not having it in my personal collection.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain: An absolute must read for anyone who either loves food, the restaurant business or just loves killer stories by a guy who has seen it all. After reading this you will never, ever, think that owning a restaurant is a good idea. Brilliant, funny and one of the most enjoyable reads on this entire list.

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson: Haven’t read it but I did buy it for Kim for Christmas. We tried to count but I think we gave more books as gifts than anything else. There were legitimate piles of novels under the tree this year. If you want to know why the two of us are together just understand there was no present more enjoyable to give the other than a book that they weren’t previously aware of.

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder: Is it sad that this is one of those books that I didn’t read as a kid because I figured that it was for girls? Like I read Treasure Island instead of this just because it had pirates in it?

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov: I’m a little surprised that this book is on the list. It is clearly one of the best novels of the 20th century but it is also controversial, disturbing and not the most straightforward read in the world. Still, one should at least make one effort to enter the twisted and unstable mind of Humbert Humbert.

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Definitely on my list of books to read in the relatively near future. Not sure why I’ve always been scared off of Marquez’s work given that I typically enjoy the magical realism genre in general. I’ll be sure to add this to my list.

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich: Never heard of this one either.

Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl: Another blank from my end. I guess I have never had much desire to search for meaning.

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris: I had to check my booklist but I have no record of ever reading this book. I have read almost everything else that David Sedaris has ever written but I’ve completely missed this one. I have no idea why. David Sedaris is great and you should at least give one of his essay collections a try.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides: Another one that I should add to my list of books to read. I have read “The Virgin Suicides” though so I am a fan of Eugenides’ work. This one fell off my radar though.

Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie: I don’t know if I have ever met anyone who has actually read Salman Rushdie. I’ve known people who have bought his books and can discuss his life story but he is one of those authors who is better known than read and this comes from someone who is a huge fan of David Foster Wallace.

Moneyball by Michael Lewis: Awesome baseball book and a great look at how data and statistics can be used to change the way we look at the world. As someone whose entire adult life has revolved around spreadsheets and trying to figure out what numbers mean this is a great example of what I am trying to do at any moment in time. Sadly, I don’t have reporters following me around chronicling my every move. Not yet, anyway.
  
Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham: I tried to read this book a few times and could never make it through more than thirty pages. Some books just don’t connect with you no matter how hard you try.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac: I am not a huge fan of the beats but you should read this book just to get a sense of what it was like in that moment of American history. You’ll also come away with the feeling that Kerouac is a jerk and you should never lend him your car. Also, you will be amazed at how easy it was to travel the country by hitchhiking back then. There would be no way to write this book today without having multiple references to picking up serial killers.

Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen: When was the last time you heard someone reference this book (or movie)? Seriously, it has been probably thirty years since I have seen anyone even bring up Out of Africa. I’m pretty sure that if you are only going to read 100 books in your life you should at least try to read something that will remain in the public eye.

Persopolis by Marjane Satrapi: Another graphic novel, which is awesome. Surprisingly this list doesn’t include Watchmen or any of the Sandman books which are my clear choice for the best graphic novels of all time. Feel free to substitute those if necessary.

Portnoy’s Complaint by Philip Roth: One of those great American novels that is constantly described as a great American novel to the point that I have no real desire to read it. Anyone have any real opinions?

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Yeah, I am horrible at reading Austen or the Brontes or anyone in that genre of authors. It is a huge blind spot in my literary collection.


7 for 25 today and 16 for 50 so far. Not a good start.

No comments: